Saturday, January 18, 2014

Vocabulary Notebook

For the second PC I actually took the necessary time to study the Porter vocabulary properly. Since I am not capable of coping with stress and I knew how many words were waiting for me to write down, I got down to work during Christmas break. Previous experiences have shown that the writing down of unfamiliar words makes me remember them much better and therefore I wrote down every single word, its explanation, synonyms and some example sentences too. I worked with three online dictionaries at the same time, namely the Longman Dictionary, Vocabulary.com and Thesaurus.com. In the end I had more than 20 sheets to go through again. This time I developed a method for studying vocabulary efficiently. I took the sheets of one unit, went through them and tried to remember as much as I could. The next day I revised them again. When I was not really sure about one word of the list, I put the sheet with that word on a specific place in my apartment. Of course, I also put the sheets with the vocabulary I could remember on a different place. Each time I would pass by these places, I took a sheet out and revised it. My method was to combine studying vocabulary with my daily life. It helped my mind to actually assign unfamiliar words a certain place in my apartment. To be honest, I have never memorised such a great range of vocabulary that quickly before. My method turned out to be very successful and I will definitely return to it again. Even if it is a very time consuming way to study vocabulary, the effect is undoubtedly worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment