Saturday, March 15, 2014

A day in the life of Emina

A day in the life of Emina, a Bosnian.

A day in the life of Emina, a Bosnian.




On a Wednesday morning I was woken up by my mother’s squeaky voice: “Wake up, otherwise you’ll miss your bus to Travnik”. On a normal day in Graz I would just ignore my mother’s call to wake up and continue the resting. The reason why I jumped out of the comfortable bed immediately was the fact that I was spending my semester break in Bosnia, my native land. I wanted to fully enjoy my trip and make the best out of every precious day which was available to me. On this particular Wednesday I planned a trip to the nearby city Travnik. Even though I had visited this place very often in the past, I was looking forward to enjoying the city and potentially take some nice pictures for my Tumblr profile. I put on some clothes, charged my camera and managed to catch the bus, just in the nick of time. Half an hour later I found myself standing in the heart of Travnik and breathing in the the fresh air of the city’s surrounding mountains.There are no words to describe the feeling I had in this particular moment. I didn’t realise that I was so emotionally bound to this place. Contend and with a smile on my face I headed towards the old town, my favourite place in Travnik. After having climbed the stairs (what a strenuous activity this was!), I finally enjoyed a wonderful view over the city and its suburbs. I spent quite some time there, totally forgetting the existence of  time. I took quite a lot pictures as I was trying to capture the beauty. I decided to move on. When I went out, I noticed a graffiti on a wall which says “Never forget Srebrenica”. It aroused a feeling of anger and sadness in me as it automatically evoked the image of the Bosnian war.




Forgetting this unpleasant thought, I descended the old town and stopped at a place called “Plava Voda” which is very famous for serving traditional Bosnian coffee. I couldn’t resist the temptation and ordered a cup. 




Not only did I get coffee, but a cigarette and a sticky piece of sweet called “Rahat Lokum” too. That’s why this particular coffee place is so popular. Even though I am not a smoker, I lit this bloody cigarette. I mean, who wouldn’t? The time had come to leave the city.
I went to bed with a feeling of excitement. I had spent a beautiful day in Travnik and took some nice shots of the city. It doesn’t matter how often I visit Travnik, there is always something new I can discover and experience due to the country’s rich cultural heritage.





1 comment:

  1. Uvijek isti ali uvijek iznova odusevi njegova ljepota :)

    ReplyDelete