Sunday, June 22, 2014

CAJ - A conversation with my sister about geoengineering


I had a nice, heated debate about geoengineering with my sister. I had already told her once before that I have to get absorbed into this topic for my CAJ and therefore, she knew roughly what it is about. I started the conversation by asking her what her opinion about geoengineering was. She was absolutely against it. She argued that it is a thread against nature and that people should not claim the right to intervene in the Earth’s climate system. She also mentioned God by saying that we should not change the way God created the Earth and all other creations. If we consider that geoengineering techniques involve placing mirrors to block sunlight, it is quite understandable that she was totally against it. I just leaned back to listen to her getting so furious about it. I realised that I had exactly the same opinion about geoengineering before I went more into depth with all the global warming issues. All my acquired knowledge helped me counter her arguments. I stated some actual facts concerning global warming, like the minimum sea-ice volume is falling continuously in the Arctic. I kept on telling that it is essential to come up with ways to protect our planet and that by this stage we should consider anything that could prevent global warming, even severe geoengineering.  She knew that already but she was sceptical about the Geoengineering techniques. I told her that these techniques, of course, could be risky. She then began to ask for more details about all the different geoengineering methods. I realised that I still lack information about them.
This debate opened my eyes in many ways. I learned that I can state proper facts when it comes to debates around geoengineering and global warming. The CAJ made me more aware of what is happening to our planet. But, on the other hand, I still need more detailed information about the different geoengineering techniques. I will work on it!

Note: I wrote this text before I dealt with the geoengineering techniques more in depth. By now I have, of course, expanded my knowledge about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment