Tuesday, June 24, 2014

CAJ - My opinion about geoengineering

When I first started to deal with geoengineering, I had a negative attitude towards it. I thought it was a crazy idea to control climate and pollute our planet by spraying chemicals in the air. In truth, I was not properly informed about the dangerous global warming effects. Therefore, I couldn’t evaluate the necessity of geoengineering. The more I read about it, the more I realised its importance. Firstly, I only looked at newspaper articles. It really made me frustrated that many arguments against geoengineering I found in these articles were not supported by any proper facts. So I started to read more academic texts. By doing so, I began to look at it from new perspectives. I thought about it many times and I finally can say that I have developed my own opinion about geoengineering.

I strongly believe that some revolutionary measures to prevent global warming have to be taken as soon as possible. There are several geoengineering techniques that aim to combat different aspects of global warming. Some of these are expensive and at the moment infeasible, others are quite cheap considering the significant cooling effect they could cause in a short period of time. If we weigh out the negative impact of global warming and of some geoengineering methods, we can conclude, obviously, that global warming is far more destructive to the planet. Therefore I think geoengineering should be implemented. However, most of the leading scientists in this field keep on saying that further research and some kind of a plan to realise it is needed. In order to prevent governments to misuse geoengineering as a weapon, for example, it is essential to regulate it properly. Geoengineering should only be used to combat global warming and ocean acidification. Since no other measure that have been taken to counter an aggravation of global warming were really effective, geoengineering seems to be the only way to make it stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment