Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Another great piece of art

Django_unchained_by_dresdenshadow-d5ghymr
Yesterday afternoon I watched the new movie of Quentin Tarantino "Django unchained" in English. I am generally a great fan of the director and I've watched all of his films over and over again, but his new movie just blew my mind. I was again incredibly impressed by his talent and I am hardly able to put my excitement into words. 

Here is a short summary of the topic: The plot is set in the Deep South, during the time of slavery in America. Django (played by Jamie Foxx) is bought by Dr. Schultz (played by the great actor Christoph Waltz) who turns out to be a bounty hunter. They both make their way ahead to save Django's wife Broomhilde. They finally arrive to one of the biggest plantations "Candyland" and the owner of it, Calvin Candy (played by famous Leonardo DiCaprio), is a barbaric man who has a lot of slaves working for him, including Broomhilde. Basically, what follows are a lot of bloody scenes, but it is important to say that Django and Broomhilde are united in the end :-)

As I gained an insight into the time of the American Civil War for the third PC, this movie was all the more exciting. The director had the courage to deal with the tough "slavery" issue which Americans try to avoid talking about because it is the darkest part of their history. But the interesting part of it is that Tarantino's goal was actually to put the audience in the time of slavery and to show them all the circumstances and troubles of that time. I have to say I was a bit shocked as there are some scenes which illustrate how slaves where treated. For example, they had to wear kind of a headgear of chains and when they were punished, they were hanged head first for hours or were put nacked in a bunker. Another brutal thing is that all these owners let slaves fight until one of them was dead, the only purpose of this was entertainment. You see, it is a very complicated topic to deal with but it's a way to get over the past and to learn from the mistakes people made. 

What fascinated me a lot was the incredible good acting. Christoph Waltz made a brilliant performance and Leonardo DiCaprio was so overwhelmingly into his role that after he had injured himself in one scene and had began to bleed, he kept on acting. 

It doesn't actually matter which one of Tarantino's movies you pick, they all have like a common theme which runs though them and this is what makes his movies so unique. He's such an intelligent and talented director. Have you ever seen one of his interviews? I have the feeling that his behaviour is very special and ... weird?  
 

 

Leonardo-dicaprio-django-unchained-wallpaper
I am again speechless of his new great piece of art! 

Btw, the soundtrack's as well great! Here are two songs which I like best. I love Johnny Cash anyway :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment